Monday, September 5, 2011

How to Sew a Cape!

Hi, Samantha and I here! It has been our dream for a long time to sew a regency looking doll cape. You know, the kind they wore in the early 1800s to keep warm. I don't have any very heavy weight fabric, but I did have some fuzzy warm stuff to make it out of. My directions on how are sort of shadowy, but with a good sewing machine, this project should take 30 mins or less!



First kind of cut out a cone shape with a scoop top.

Measure it by putting it on your doll, and round out the corners or the bottom so they're not pointy.
Finish the edges (the two sides and hem the bottom) whatever way you want. Various people do it various ways.

Then...Make four little gathers on the neck of your cape.

Sew them on the machine!

Now, get a hooded jacket or something hooded that your own for you dolls and use it as a pattern for the cape's hood. Fold it in half and cut around it.

Like so. Finish the two STRAIGHT edges, NOT the rounded one.

See? Now, you'll need to sew  WITH RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER from there, where my finger is...

Around to there, where my finger is in this picture.

tada! Try the hood on your doll and make sure it fits!

Then sew the bottom of the hood to the neck of your cape.

Try it on. Now you need to measure for ties. You should know how to make ties if you know anything about sewing. Again, different people do them various ways.

Then, where the hood is long than the cape, sew the ties like I did in the photo.

And you're done! Here's what it's like with the hood down.


Hood up.

I hope this is helpful to you! Please comment if you decide to make one! :)
Happy Labor Day!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! I made a velvet cape similar to this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! If I had a sewing machine I would love to make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that is sooooooooooo awesome!! Great tutorial! HAHA I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gonna make this

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!