Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dressing Civil War

When it rains like this all the time...I have trouble thinking up things to do with my dolls. Sorry for the length of time in between posts!

I've been reenacting this month...and this coming week I will be doing a Civil War day! This of course, is making me in sort of a "Civil War" mood. It's even being reflected in my doll play.

So today, I'm going to teach you how to dress your doll in Civil War costume!
This is the "shift." A lady wore this all the time and rarely changed it. (perhaps once a year.) She wore it like her skin, but it also served as her nightgown.

In the morning, first come the bloomers. The shift is stuffed into them.

Next comes the tightly laced corset. This ensures that a lady sits up straight!

After that comes the hoop, for added fullness to the skirt. (these are normally covered in cotton. Mine is not.)

After the hoop, a few petti coats are added.

Then, a cotton dress.

Dress the hair, and add a bonnet to keep the sun off.

Wool socks and boots complete the look.

She's beautiful!

PS. The hoop was fairly easy to make. I used 3 embroidery hoops! Tie them together with some cord. You can always take it apart when you're done!

5 comments:

  1. that is so cool! i love the hoops:) are you going to the civil war field trip on friday??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be there, but not with our group. I'm going to be one of the reenactors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! that is SO COOL!!! i cant wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sooo cute Rachel!! I love the corset :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I made that too. To answer your question on a previous post, I do make a lot of the doll's clothes, and it is cheaper, and personally I like to mess around and see what I can create! Every once in awhile, I do get a new dress though from a store like AG, or buy one used at a garage sale. I'm also a fan of supporting people who make their own clothes and do a nice job. (so I buy from them at craft shows too.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!