Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Spring Capris

Every year I wish I had more spring and summer capris and shorts. They are so expensive to buy, so I've been making some of my own. (Yes, as the snow falls outside. Yes, it's March 30. Crazy.) Today I thought I would teach YOU how to make some too! They are super easy.

Here is what you need: A doll to model, scissors, pairs of shorts/pants/capris/bloomers to use as a pattern, fabric of your choice, and elastic. (I used some old headbands my mom didn't want)

First, lay your "pattern" on the fold.

Cut it out.

Cut another one that mirrors it.

Open and place them on top of each other.

Sew as shown, but only down to the bottom of the curve.

(by the way, I hemmed my pants at this point. It made it some much easier to do it now! Simply fold over twice and stitch along the bottom.)

Grab the middle of the fabric and pull on both sides, making the seams you just made meet in the middle.

Line it all up now. See our pants?

Sew up one leg...

Then up the other! Make sure you do a good "forward and back" to make SURE you won't get holes in the crotch.

Now get out your doll and slide the pants on to make sure everything fits.

I like the length....

Also measure how much elastic you need. It should be enough to be snug around your doll's waist, almost pulling.

Sew a "sleeve" big enough for the elastic all the way around on the top of you pants. Be patient, this is tricky. Leave an opening for you to slide the elastic in.

There it is!

Now, feed your elastic in. This is slow work, so be patient!

Both ends are now coming through the hole.

Sew the ends of the elastic together.

Sew your hole closed now!

And your pants are complete!




Another alternative is to roll them up and wear them like this! Way cute!


Here is another example: I made the shorts Rebecca is wearing last year. I don't own them anymore...I traded them for a jumper. But...they are basically the same idea.

I hope to make some more over the next few days. Hopefully I will have tan, brown, green and denim by the end of this weekend, but we'll have to see!

3 comments:

  1. that is a great shortcut for making pants, and so easy to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Rachel!! These look terrific!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!